Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Lionna, looking for info
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:25 pm 
Duke

Is this another project by the same dude who's been faking his online count for his past servers like zaken and l2classic.ws?
http://l2lionna.com/
I mean come on, 5k online at all times and 5.8 during peak? The ingame community board also looks like that of the other servers I mentioned.

fosho!

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: Lionna, looking for info
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:41 pm 
Baron

No, over the past years they had mid rate h5 servers, one every year or so, actually long lived servers.
The classic server is still healthy after 2 months, of course it does not have 6k players, there's like 2,5k shops, but the server is alive, you can find players everywhere, there's always 20-30 players at oly and stuff.
But the classic server will die when the new h5 server is released, so no not worth playing this late.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:21 pm 
Baron

The issue is that most people buy into it, to a degree at least. You will gain more players if you lie about the numbers than if you are honest. The people who join because of numbers outnumber the ones who won't join because of lies. The fault doesn't lie with the server admins, but with the community. Not faking the online counter automatically puts the server at a disadvantage: those who think it's fake will think there's much less people online, and those who think it's true won't be impressed by the numbers since everyone else has bigger numbers.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:43 pm 
Duke

hdtv wrote:
No, over the past years they had mid rate h5 servers, one every year or so, actually long lived servers.
The classic server is still healthy after 2 months, of course it does not have 6k players, there's like 2,5k shops, but the server is alive, you can find players everywhere, there's always 20-30 players at oly and stuff.

Thanks for the insight, yeah I was just checking it out and everything seemed familiar. I guess they have the same files that the other guys had.

hdtv wrote:
But the classic server will die when the new h5 server is released, so no not worth playing this late.

Yeah I reasoned along similar lines, that's why I'm not interested in it right now. Might join the H5 one for some quick fun though, 50x progression is quite fast.
Just wish there was a classic midrate without bullshit. The fact that lionna uses the same monetization as those other servers which absolutely failed after a few months doesn't make it trustworthy.
Especially since those servers were still quoting 3k population when in reality they were deserted, aside from shops.

Brick wrote:
The issue is that most people buy into it, to a degree at least. You will gain more players if you lie about the numbers than if you are honest. The people who join because of numbers outnumber the ones who won't join because of lies. The fault doesn't lie with the server admins, but with the community. Not faking the online counter automatically puts the server at a disadvantage: those who think it's fake will think there's much less people online, and those who think it's true won't be impressed by the numbers since everyone else has bigger numbers.

Fully agreed with this. People don't understand that a server with 1k players is quite healthy and want 5k+ population. A real population of 5k would be quite crowded.

fosho!

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:45 pm 
Duke

Found something interesting over at maxcheaters: https://maxcheaters.com/topic/222577-l2 ... -projects/
These guys are claiming that Lionna belongs to the same owner as the other servers I mentioned and that he's corrupt af.
Just a heads up.

fosho!

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:38 pm 
Baron

Icarus wrote:
Found something interesting over at maxcheaters: https://maxcheaters.com/topic/222577-l2 ... -projects/
These guys are claiming that Lionna belongs to the same owner as the other servers I mentioned and that he's corrupt af.
Just a heads up.

Same things is with all interlude server currently on. There are at least 4 project low rates with exactly same files, with exactly same features which were launched in last year or two. l2crest, l2zeus ect... they belong to same owner (probably) since having exactly same files/features is close to impossible.

What is annoying that these project make a burble with a look that "oh... look... how many projects.. c6 is alive" but in reality it is not. Those project are made by same people, just under different name.

I don't want to go into h5 vs c6 thing, but people are simply retarded. They hate gf/h5 for the reasons like "ooo look 1 character can perma-stun whole party", but they keep playing CLASSIC which has even worse debuff landing system. 1 Warlord can stunlock 50+ people and you can't doing anything about that.

If there were simply a H5 project with x1 rates, removed vitality/nevit. We would see true "classic experience" like old times. No more you able to jump over 2-3 tiers of gear. Steady progress and what is mostly important, a secured late game with balanced olympiad.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:31 am 
Duke

Brick wrote:

Absolutely nailed it.

The issue there is finding that sweet spot which I'd call an "ethical faking", that is - if the server has online numbers close to some kind of breaking point like 500, 1000 etc., it's perfectly ok to pump up the numbers a slightly bit to get just above that.

It's just how players think, when they're used to going to servers with average population, and see the server has for example ~470 online, they won't join because it's "less than 500". But when you fake it to look lets say ~520, they very well might just join and see absolutely no difference in actual gameplay. Everyone is winner there.

Obviously other story are servers with ~20 ppl on (who mostly just sit in Giran and chat) and the site claims 1k+ online, apparently expecting the newcomer won't notice :lol:

The method that I've been using over the years is checking the forums - it's a bit less effective these days when many servers just use Discord instead, but most of the time the traffic on forums can say a lot about actual ingame situation.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:34 pm 
Baron

Herlitz wrote:
The issue there is finding that sweet spot which I'd call an "ethical faking", that is - if the server has online numbers close to some kind of breaking point like 500, 1000 etc., it's perfectly ok to pump up the numbers a slightly bit to get just above that.

It's just how players think, when they're used to going to servers with average population, and see the server has for example ~470 online, they won't join because it's "less than 500". But when you fake it to look lets say ~520, they very well might just join and see absolutely no difference in actual gameplay. Everyone is winner there.

I like to believe that's how it started in the beginning but then admins began one-upping each other to ridiculous numbers for the sake of quick money.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:44 am 
Duke

Brick wrote:
Herlitz wrote:

I like to believe that's how it started in the beginning but then admins began one-upping each other to ridiculous numbers for the sake of quick money.

To the point where not only are they lying about the population by thousands of players, but also faking players ingame. I saw a script which simulated players directly from the server the other day, practically a full on bot that spawns 'players' which roam around the city to make it seem like it's populated.
Fucking disgusting.

fosho!

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:20 pm 
Baron

Icarus wrote:
To the point where not only are they lying about the population by thousands of players, but also faking players ingame. I saw a script which simulated players directly from the server the other day, practically a full on bot that spawns 'players' which roam around the city to make it seem like it's populated.
Fucking disgusting.
As sad as it may sound but this is only one of the many common practices admins have been using throughout the years. Just to name a few: admins selling in-game currency to Adena seller, DDoS attacking the competition, advertisement contests in which players are encouraged to spam as many places as possible in exchange for in-game currency/rewards... sadly the list goes on and on

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:19 pm 
Duke

Brick wrote:
As sad as it may sound but this is only one of the many common practices admins have been using throughout the years. Just to name a few: admins selling in-game currency to Adena seller, DDoS attacking the competition, advertisement contests in which players are encouraged to spam as many places as possible in exchange for in-game currency/rewards... sadly the list goes on and on

Ain't that the truth. Out of that list DDoS on launch is the thing which pisses me off the most.
Basically if you're a small little owner who wants to open a nice server and actually get enough people's attention, you should prepare your wallet for DDoS protection. Pretty horseshit.

fosho!

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:29 am 
Baron

Icarus wrote:

Basically if you're a small little owner who wants to open a nice server and actually get enough people's attention, you should prepare your wallet for DDoS protection. Pretty horseshit.
Indeed, some of these servers form temporary alliances to fight off potential competition, so there are just no ways for non-profit server to survive in the long run

OfflineProfile