Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: What a long living Lineage II server looks like in 2021?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:37 am 
Vagabond

Hey all! I've been reading through the forum and there's heaps of great information and opinions here and I would love to get your input on a project I've been working with my team for a while.

As a Lineage II player and ex admin in some known servers, I'm now trying to understand what a long-living server looks like nowadays. I've played most of my life in low/mid rate servers custom and no custom, so I want to build something unique and long-living.

In my research, I see that there's a huge opportunity for the right server to shine, a lot of players are trying to find a good server similar to the ones that we had in the past (like low rate dex or mid rate honor games/revolution for example).

But seems like the servers nowadays are missing the point, or they are too easy and you play one month in an Interlude and you have nothing else to do, or they are too hard and don't bring anything new, so the players don't get the engagement (actually some of the very hard ones are actually the best because you can play for at least one year)

And there's also the admins who are not putting much effort into maintaining something for the long term with balanced play/donation.

If you sum all those points you have hungry players trying to find a good server and admins trying to create servers but no one is happy. (And I think I don't even need to talk about the official lineage, they've messed up the whole thing)

What I need help with is how can we have a low to mid rate server that is engaging and keeps the roots of the game as a priority. This is what I have in mind so far:

Version: Interlude

Rates

- XP: 12x
    - SP: 12x
    - Adena: 12x
    - Drop: 3x
    - Spoil: 8x
    - Quest: 1x
    - Quests: 3rd job (partial, some items will be sold), sub-class (partial), nobless (almost full)
    - Boss: 1x

The economics of the game

One of the big issues I see is that people missed the point when they changed the game economics, lineage 2 until Interlude was built entirely around farming/crafting and group play, and when items can be acquired via different methods (buying for cheap prices from npcs or donation) Adena become worthless as well as Dwarfs and you end up losing 60% of the game's content.

On the idea we have, Adena and crafting will be the center of the game, even if new items are added they will follow the retail logic and will be only acquired via crafting or raid bosses. So spiritshots/soulshots and all items via craft. Probably there will be some items for the low grades until B to make it easier to craft (still to be defined, would like to hear what you think)

Customs
    - Mana potion
    - NPC buffer with 1HR buffs (what do people think?)
    - In my opinion it removes the barrier for individuals to get started and level up by themselves until reaching a level where they need help to craft items to get stronger and doesn't impact the game in a negative way
    - No Global GKs
    - Global GKs change the mechanics and economics of the game as people tend to not move between towns and it focuses the commerces only in giran which impacts competition and selling/buying opportunities
    - Quests
    - 1st and 2nd classes for free via npc
    - 3rd partial - some items will be sold by adena
    - subclass - partial
    - nobless - almost full
    - Custom Armors and Accessories
    - I believe that in order for the server to be alive for 2 years + new content will be necessary and it should be possible to add new items without unbalancing the game if we follow the retail logic
    - Add dynasty with custom stats after 6 months? Craftable via recipes and dwarfs?
    - New hunting grounds as people will get stronger and will be bored of the same places?
    - Is adding tattoos or any accessory with custom stats too much?
    - A lot of servers have tattoos or custom accessories and they are quite unique and fun when balanced

Donations

Let's be honest, I'm a 31 years software engineer and we know that in 2021 infrastructure is cheap so we don't need a lot of money to maintain a server online and there are proven ways to get money without unbalancing the game like League of Legends and Dota do with accessories/ skins for example.

Donations should focus on the uniqueness of accessories and things that don't disrupt the game, maybe premium accounts to help people who don't have much time to level up faster but items and scrolls should never be sold.

That's more or less what I have in mind folks! would love to hear your opinion

Last question: Do you think it's still worth it? To invest time and money?

- My answer: Yes, a lot of other mmorpgs older than lineage such as tibia have tons of loyal players and Lineage 2 has as well, it's just what happened with the evolution of the official game that made us lose the point.

Thank you very much!

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: What a long living Lineage II server looks like in 2021?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:30 pm 
Vagabond

Just depends what you want - NPC buffer makes live buffers pretty unpopular, everyone plays solo until endgame, etc. But it brings in lots of casuals and makes it much easier to get started.

You need new content, especially at a 12x, people will reach endgame and get bored pretty quickly. I think the idea of just upgrading through chronicles is great, it also helps change up the meta a bit over time. The more you make custom, the harder it is to balance and keep the trust of the playerbase.

I don't play a lot of midrate, so a bit hard for me to suggest too much. I think the server you describe would just be too fast, people will hit endgame in weeks, in full A grade, so you're just waiting on epics/sieges to trigger fights but not a lot else to do. Maybe that's enough and keeps people interested? Someone that understands midrate more would have to answer.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:38 pm 
Heir

A midrate should drop all non epic RBs imho really.
No more easy xp and flying up in lvls only to cry later it was so easy.

I haven't seen a server with a decent drop calc in a while.
If that would work properly I'd set drop/spoil to x12 and exp/sp/adena x8

A server more or less like intended with crafting instead of buying.
NPC buffer could maybe only have basic buffs or lower skill lvl than char buffers.

One can dream... :D

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:37 am 
Vagabond

As a Lineage II player and ex admin in some known servers, I'm now trying to understand what a long-living server looks like nowadays. Stomp that "LIKE" button on this video to keep the series rolling! Find new 2021 L2 servers to play Buffer Custom, Nevits, Treasure Lineage 2 private servers (l2 top)! Get ready for the biggest adventure of your life! Long-term project! L2Gold is an open-source private server, Don't miss opening of new L2 servers today! Here are the highest-quality projects. Servers with star icon "Premium server" have long advertising campaign.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:41 pm 
Vagabond

12x spoil is beyond ridiculous, if drop rate is 3x , spoil rate should be below that

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:42 pm 
Vagabond

xmot wrote:
You need new content, especially at a 12x, people will reach endgame and get bored pretty quickly. I think the idea of just upgrading through chronicles is great, it also helps change up the meta a bit over time. The more you make custom, the harder it is to balance and keep the trust of the playerbase.

Good point!

Beppie wrote:
I haven't seen a server with a decent drop calc in a while.
If that would work properly I'd set drop/spoil to x12 and exp/sp/adena x8

Agree, I've been doing more research and this balance is broken in most of the servers

Thanks for the input folks, we've been doing more research and are more inclined to go with 4x no custom and no p2w donations, just full retail gameplay. Still looking into that, but the more I research, the more I see that people are seeking for the true, free and balanced Interlude gaming experience, that people tend to break by different reasons (profit, personal expectations and etc..)

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:48 pm 
Vagabond

OFF files, that's the way it looks like
and the community needs to be good, no one needs trash streamers, good lord they need to go

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:50 pm 
Duke

onvacation wrote:
OFF files, that's the way it looks like
and the community needs to be good, no one needs trash streamers, good lord they need to go

There are good l2j projects as well. See talking island.
The trick is that l2j has such a low barrier of entry for opening a server that people just take random shitty packs and launch servers with them. And those packs still have the default (read: shit) l2j project formulas.

fosho!

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:33 am 
Vagabond

I can open such a server. Have both experience and knowledge. But a volunteer is needed who will own a domain and vps.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 1:00 am 
Baron

Just my dumb opinion as a player, who didn't touch this game in a while.

After reading the 1st post, i see the problem every server has... not 1 single exception, why would you focus so much on "keeping old players happy", those that played from day 1, rushed the server, and after 1-2 month, they got "nothing to do", because they rushed the server and there was not enough time for those who don't have that much time to play to catch up.
Insted of giving incentive to new players, or those that didn't had that much time to rush the game, to get in items and level/sub/noble to those who rushed the game, you instead propose to give even more benefits to those who are allready at "end game".
So no new players will join this server, and server rushers will get bored and leave to another server to rush.

If you trully want to make a server sustainable, IMO should not do anything to give those ultra high "more things to do"(more ways to shit on new players or those who didn't had that much time), and instead just focus on low players, make an enviorment in wich someone can join the server and think .. "ok i can get to their level, and items".. instead if you keep updating the server with .. new items, new bosses, new things that are excelusvie to high level players, no new players will join the server, coz nobody wants to just enter a server and get shiton by someone who only acomplish is they had more time to play.

And the only way to balance this, time to play vs those who don't have enough time, is to put a limit to just how much they can go, if you don't modify the server, new players might join beacause they can still they have a chance, to form a new clan, or go to oly and win, but if you keep updating and updating, it will seems impossible.

For short, don't make custom items after x time, don't upgrade chronicle, give incentive for low players, so they can stand a chance and make the server more fun at some point.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 7:21 am 
Vagabond

waldemarnt wrote:
Hey all! I've been reading through the forum and there's heaps of great information and opinions here and I would love to get your input on a project I've been working with my team for a while.

As a Lineage II player and ex admin in some known servers, I'm now trying to understand what a long-living server looks like nowadays. I've played most of my life in low/mid rate servers custom and no custom, so I want to build something unique and long-living.

In my research, I see that there's a huge opportunity for the right server to shine, a lot of players are trying to find a good server similar to the ones that we had in the past (like low rate dex or mid rate honor games/revolution for example).

But seems like the servers nowadays are missing the point, or they are too easy and you play one month in an Interlude and you have nothing else to do, or they are too hard and don't bring anything new, so the players don't get the engagement (actually some of the very hard ones are actually the best because you can play for at least one year)

And there's also the admins who are not putting much effort into maintaining something for the long term with balanced play/donation.

If you sum all those points you have hungry players trying to find a good server and admins trying to create servers but no one is happy. (And I think I don't even need to talk about the official lineage, they've messed up the whole thing)

What I need help with is how can we have a low to mid rate server that is engaging and keeps the roots of the game as a priority. This is what I have in mind so far:

Version: Interlude

Rates

- XP: 12x
    - SP: 12x
    - Adena: 12x
    - Drop: 3x
    - Spoil: 8x
    - Quest: 1x
    - Quests: 3rd job (partial, some items will be sold), sub-class (partial), nobless (almost full)
    - Boss: 1x

The economics of the game

One of the big issues I see is that people missed the point when they changed the game economics, lineage 2 until Interlude was built entirely around farming/crafting and group play, and when items can be acquired via different methods (buying for cheap prices from npcs or donation) Adena become worthless as well as Dwarfs and you end up losing 60% of the game's content.

On the idea we have, Adena and crafting will be the center of the game, even if new items are added they will follow the retail logic and will be only acquired via crafting or raid bosses. So spiritshots/soulshots and all items via craft. Probably there will be some items for the low grades until B to make it easier to craft (still to be defined, would like to hear what you think)

Customs
    - Mana potion
    - NPC buffer with 1HR buffs (what do people think?)
    - In my opinion it removes the barrier for individuals to get started and level up by themselves until reaching a level where they need help to craft items to get stronger and doesn't impact the game in a negative way
    - No Global GKs
    - Global GKs change the mechanics and economics of the game as people tend to not move between towns and it focuses the commerces only in giran which impacts competition and selling/buying opportunities
    - Quests
    - 1st and 2nd classes for free via npc
    - 3rd partial - some items will be sold by adena
    - subclass - partial
    - nobless - almost full
    - Custom Armors and Accessories
    - I believe that in order for the server to be alive for 2 years + new content will be necessary and it should be possible to add new items without unbalancing the game if we follow the retail logic
    - Add dynasty with custom stats after 6 months? Craftable via recipes and dwarfs?
    - New hunting grounds as people will get stronger and will be bored of the same places?
    - Is adding tattoos or any accessory with custom stats too much?
    - A lot of servers have tattoos or custom accessories and they are quite unique and fun when balanced

Donations

Let's be honest, I'm a 31 years software engineer and we know that in 2021 infrastructure is cheap so we don't need a lot of money to maintain a server online and there are proven ways to get money without unbalancing the game like League of Legends and Dota do with accessories/ skins for example.

Donations should focus on the uniqueness of accessories and things that don't disrupt the game, maybe premium accounts to help people who don't have much time to level up faster but items and scrolls should never be sold.

That's more or less what I have in mind folks! would love to hear your opinion

Last question: Do you think it's still worth it? To invest time and money?

- My answer: Yes, a lot of other mmorpgs njmcdirect older than lineage such as tibia have tons of loyal players and Lineage 2 has as well, it's just what happened with the evolution of the official game that made us lose the point.

Thank you very much!

Game servers will be down for maintenance beginning Wednesday, February Lovely Chocolate Boxes are available in the L2 Store for one final week. looks like u love loosign player.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 12:00 pm 
Forum Troll

this concept will not succeed
its just your dreams for a server not a long lasting concept

mana potions, npc buffer, custom items and long term project dont go hand in hand

did we play the same game for the past decade and ahalf at all?

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 7:19 pm 
Vagabond

Lineage 2 was not designed to be played solo, at least not always. What has happened over the years is the game has evolved against its original indent. From an open world sandbox mmorpg it slowly transformed into a theme park open world mmorpg because they started trying to emulate WoW. Lineage 2 is at its best when you let players do whatever the hell they want instead of trying to "guide" them with instances and artificial progression schemes. The old successful servers were the ones where players made their own metas and endgame.

Theres another problem, we have been playing the game wrong all this time. NPC Buffers, GM Shops, Global Gatekeepers, doing everything via the community board etc, its just wrong, you skip fundemental parts of the game, like actual roleplaying, you dont need the crafter, spoiler, support and buffer roles anymore if you can do anything from anyplace anytime.

I remember having the most fun during group activities with my friends or people i met ingame and shared the same goals. I remember feeling satisfied having my own buffers instead of one clicking on buttons and getting all the buffs in milliseconds.

Its a server like that that i cant find. Anything after C5 is when the game started copying WoW and thats why so many people are stuck on Interlude these days.

The ideal server for me would be a low rate to mid rate C4 server that allows multiboxing and the newbie buffers work up until level 75 or something so people that prefer to play solo for longer can feel like they have room to progress. Maybe let everyone be able to craft some basic stuff like Shots and potions and make finding equipment a little easier.

I was thinking to start a server like that but im only 1 guy so if anyone is interested in seeing something like that happen feel free to join my discord server here https://discord.gg/DAxkthGuUv or if you already have a project like that join the server and let me know or pm me.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:21 am 
Vagabond

Cobretti22 wrote:
Lineage 2 was not designed to be played solo, at least not always. What has happened over the years is the game has evolved against its original indent. From an open world sandbox mmorpg it slowly transformed into a theme park open world mmorpg because they started trying to emulate WoW. Lineage 2 is at its best when you let players do whatever the hell they want instead of trying to "guide" them with instances and artificial progression schemes. The old successful servers were the ones where players made their own metas and endgame.

Theres another problem, we have been playing the game wrong all this time. NPC Buffers, GM Shops, Global Gatekeepers, doing everything via the community board etc, its just wrong, you skip fundemental parts of the game, like actual roleplaying, you dont need the crafter, spoiler, support and buffer roles anymore if you can do anything from anyplace anytime.

I remember having the most fun during group activities with my friends or people i met ingame and shared the same goals. I remember feeling satisfied having my own buffers instead of one clicking on buttons and getting all the buffs in milliseconds.

Its a server like that that i cant find. Anything after C5 is when the game started copying WoW and thats why so many people are stuck on Interlude these days.

The ideal server for me would be a low rate to mid rate C4 server that allows multiboxing and the newbie buffers work up until level 75 or something so people that prefer to play solo for longer can feel like they have room to progress. Maybe let everyone be able to craft some basic stuff like Shots and potions and make finding equipment a little easier.

I was thinking to start a server like that but im only 1 guy so if anyone is interested in seeing something like that happen feel free to join my discord server here https://discord.gg/DAxkthGuUv or if you already have a project like that join the server and let me know or pm me.

who coul read all this garbage

OfflineProfile