Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: patreon server
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 6:28 pm 
Vagabond

I've got an interesting idea of creating an everlasting low rate Interlude server with no microtransactions and paid clans.
We'll launch a patreon and use money to pay for domain&dedicated server. I think ~30$/month is enough to hold an L2j server with 600-800 people.
As for L2OFF, that thing would cost a lot more and can be shut down since it is illegal.
The only problem I see is DDOS bastards on the start of the project and potencially low population since we don't buy ads and paid clans.
It is not like I seek any profit from it, I've just figured out that L2 lovers got nowhere to play nowadays since every single server is "just another profit sh*t" which reopens every month.
Could a project like this be interesting for you?

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: patreon server
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 12:01 am 
Duke

Razzor1911 wrote:
The only problem I see is DDOS bastards on the start of the project and potencially low population since we don't buy ads and paid clans.

The bulk of the problem at launch is exactly that. When you have shitheads like Skylord DDoS-ing the competition and then playing the victim, it's hard to open your own server without investing a decent amount in DDoS protection.

I've honestly given up hope but yes, any project which is not for profit is interesting to me. This is why I'm waiting for L2Dawn. One of the few servers which actually didn't care about money. And it's funny because these types of servers aren't very high in population. The pay2win ones are, which is sad. Speaks volumes about the majority of the L2 community nowadays really.

fosho!

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 9:21 pm 
Duke

Well it's definitely something that would catch my attention. So many L2 servers out there, yet still so few of them are honest. But as you mentioned and Ica confirmed, as soon as it would start looking like a succesful project, it would get DDOSed to the ground

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 11:34 am 
Vassal

Sooo many servers already though

dex, eglobal, remorse, evoke, elixir, inara (and dawn?)

That's 6-7 servers in the span of 2 months =/

What we need is these admins to make a server together, and that's never gonna happen :D

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 8:49 pm 
Duke

Kamini wrote:
Sooo many servers already though

dex, eglobal, remorse, evoke, elixir, inara (and dawn?)

That's 6-7 servers in the span of 2 months =/

What we need is these admins to make a server together, and that's never gonna happen :D

^This^, so much... I mean what's the damn deal, couldn't they just try a cooperation once? Just imagine if ~5 servers got together for this one massive project... Best possible files, maximum budget (for all protection, advertising, rewards etc.), maximum exposure (all servers using their FB pages/mail lists). It's just stupid that everyone needs to go on their own, they're online for two months and then die because everyone fights each other instead of cooperating.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 12:53 pm 
Heir

It can't happen because the remaining community wants different things. Server owners won't even agree on things like chronicle let alone donations. There's not a single server with zero donations that I'm aware of btw. Even if it's just hats and cosmetics. Even on no p2w servers people would sell the hats to make money for clan halls.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 9:18 pm 
Vagabond

Hey we never know, Remorse and Evoke admin teams are licking china's ass on Dawn discord.
It's so cute :oops:
Remorse admin scared that Dawn is gonna take all his players and Evoke trying to know what files Dawn is using and when they are opening :oops:

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 9:33 pm 
Duke

enw wrote:
It can't happen because the remaining community wants different things. Server owners won't even agree on things like chronicle let alone donations. There's not a single server with zero donations that I'm aware of btw. Even if it's just hats and cosmetics. Even on no p2w servers people would sell the hats to make money for clan halls.

I understand that players want different things, but without really digging in too deep I often find server very similar in design - in other words, I don't feel like there're many players who would play on a server with e.g. 15x rates and not the one with 25x rates.

As for the donations... Well I mean there obviously would have to be some kind of 'democracy' as for voting on the server's specifics. It would take time to go through all of it, but I feel like the result could be very much worth it.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 11:27 pm 
Duke

enw wrote:

I dunno man, if a few of them (4-5) come together and advertise a 7x Interlude or 4x Gracia Final with great files it would basically be a guaranteed success with that kind of budget for advertising.
And I'm sure I speak for the majority of the community when I say that we'd play any of these 2 chronicles (other chronicles too) as long as it's a quality project.

fosho!

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 12:46 am 
Heir

Ok lets assume they all agree on chronicle, rates, donations etc. Who makes the decisions, a committee? What happens when one of the owners decides to abandon it? It's best if it's just one guy running the show imo. Btw the server needs to be low rate, and preferably L2Off, if it's to last a year plus.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 5:39 am 
Duke

enw wrote:
Who makes the decisions, a committee? What happens when one of the owners decides to abandon it?

Basically, yes. If 5 owners decide to make a server together, they vote on important matters - if 3 people vote again 2 they win, or whichever system they choose. They could also get voting 'power' based on their size, so larger project owner gets e.g. 10 votes while smaller server owners get lets say 7.

If one of the owners decide to leave then it's not the end of the story, there's just less manpower. It's actually a strenght of cooperation, look at Dawn - previously there was only one owner, and when he decided he didn't 'feel like it' anymore, he closed successfuly running server. Couldn't happen with teamed ownership.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 9:21 am 
Vagabond

Now that I think of it..
What would we even get adding Dawn with its afk admin, the guy that has been promising a beta for Dawn2.0 for almost a year now, Remorse with its custom chronicle and admin that keeps changing the rules of his server every week and Evoke, almost unknown in the L2 scene that had 1 laggy server for 3 month in the last 5 years ...

Come on guys, the only teams that joined forces untill now are dex and eglobal and do you see what they produced ?

A server for the money, not for the community.
Everything on that server is for the money, premium GM buffer, 3rd class+sub+nobless for donation, exp/spoil/drop runes, TOP B, etc

If 2 of the biggest names in the L2 scene couldn't make a community server, with all the money they already scammed from their past cash grab servers, no one else can :(

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 12:22 pm 
Duke

Alhby wrote:
Now that I think of it..
What would we even get adding Dawn with its afk admin, the guy that has been promising a beta for Dawn2.0 for almost a year now, Remorse with its custom chronicle and admin that keeps changing the rules of his server every week and Evoke, almost unknown in the L2 scene that had 1 laggy server for 3 month in the last 5 years ...

Come on guys, the only teams that joined forces untill now are dex and eglobal and do you see what they produced ?

A server for the money, not for the community.
Everything on that server is for the money, premium GM buffer, 3rd class+sub+nobless for donation, exp/spoil/drop runes, TOP B, etc

If 2 of the biggest names in the L2 scene couldn't make a community server, with all the money they already scammed from their past cash grab servers, no one else can :(

Well first off, I wouldn't necessarily see the dex+eglobal as such a disaster. P2W - I guess, but rest of it worked out fairly well, as far as files/advertising goes.

Second, saying it won't work because it didn't work out first time (even though it kind of did) is just a very bad attitude 8)

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:27 am 
Heir

Herlitz wrote:
enw wrote:
Who makes the decisions, a committee? What happens when one of the owners decides to abandon it?

Basically, yes. If 5 owners decide to make a server together, they vote on important matters - if 3 people vote again 2 they win, or whichever system they choose. They could also get voting 'power' based on their size, so larger project owner gets e.g. 10 votes while smaller server owners get lets say 7.

If one of the owners decide to leave then it's not the end of the story, there's just less manpower. It's actually a strenght of cooperation, look at Dawn - previously there was only one owner, and when he decided he didn't 'feel like it' anymore, he closed successfuly running server. Couldn't happen with teamed ownership.

Yes, let's think of it as a company. The votes are the company's shares. The owner of the most popular server, let's call him the majority shareholder, is the one with the most influence. That gives him sway over the direction of the server. Not only he controls most of the votes but he can also veto any decision he doesn't like. And that is why he'll end up running the show by himself.

It wouldn't work on a long timeline anyway because once the race to the top is over the population would begin to decline and more and more cps would abandon it. It's the fate of every competitive server. That is why Dawn lasted 2 years plus, because it was a casual server and China didn't care about donations. He kept the server running with less than 100 real people.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:01 pm 
Duke

The main shareholder wouldn't necessarily have the veto tho. Could be as simple as 100 votes divided across the owners with nobody having more than 50, simple as that, no extra privileges needed.

Also there're servers that lasted for way longer than 2 years... See Asterios, it's been running for like 10+ years. They just open a new server from time to time and merge it into the current one... It has stable 5k+ online at most times.

OfflineProfile