Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Searching for the names of some lore characters from Lineage
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:29 pm 
Vagabond

I remember watching those Lineage II trailers with the elf decades ago and they were from the greatest things back then, they still look wonderful even now. I tried to search the names of some characters but could not find them on the wikia for some reason, mainly the iconic female elf from the trailers, i watched it like eight times but i can't tell what her name is, Yverlenn? Ithelenn? Also the names of the dark elf female and the main character, i mean the human with the brown hair.

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: Searching for the names of some lore characters from Lin
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:59 am 
Marquis

https://forums.lineage2.com/topic/6018- ... l2-erased/

I hope u find this helpfull :)

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:23 pm 
Vagabond

I’ve got four of the names dropped in the Interlude scenes. Translation as follows:
이베리트 - Iverit (blonde light elf woman in all the trailers)
렌 - Len (Eng - Wren) human paladin
칼 - Kal (Knife) dark elf man who fights Len
아벤트 - Avent (Len’s former teacher/evil commander)
No name for the dark elf woman

A year late, but hope it was worth it :mrgreen:

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:34 pm 
Forum Troll

runamuk wrote:
I’ve got four of the names dropped in the Interlude scenes. Translation as follows:
이베리트 - Iverit (blonde light elf woman in all the trailers)
렌 - Len (Eng - Wren) human paladin
칼 - Kal (Knife) dark elf man who fights Len
아벤트 - Avent (Len’s former teacher/evil commander)
No name for the dark elf woman

A year late, but hope it was worth it :mrgreen:

yo man this is actually epic

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:38 am 
Vagabond

Found more names to add to the junk pile! Whooo! So, there’s a lot of text dump and most of this is actually for Lineage 2M lore, so not sure if anyone’s interested anyway.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v_PITzSXK ... dex=1&t=7s
왕자가 질리언은오웬은 - Prince Deporoju of Aden - 0:26
Ken Rauhel/The Black King/Usurper King - 0:30, Deporoju’s evil stepfather who stole the throne
Queen Gadria - 1:28, Deporoju’s mother and Rauhel’s wife, married him a month after her husband/Depo’s Dad died (some speculate she was under a spell)

Sadly NOT in any cinematics I can find, but are—so I’ve been told—NPCs in game...I guess?
질리언은 - Jillian, Knight of the Moon, half fairy/human
오웬은 - Owen, moonlight fairy
Deporoju’s kind of in love with both of them, not realizing they’re the same person. For more info, you can check the original manga Lineage by Shin Il-sook that the game was first based on

More 2M! (with some other games too)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rcIX7DnNd0s&t=93s
Kain van Halter - 0:45, same Kain as in the Grand Crusade cinematics but maybe takes place before GC?
Etis van Etina - 2:02, looking just as creepy as his Seven Signs version
Leona Blackbird - 1:26, adopted daughter of Lionel Hunter Lord of Innadril, becomes a warlord and raises an army to protect Aden, later gets her left arm cut off by Kain

(And speaking of Lionel Hunter...)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ud6XcUB57Fk&t=79s
The blonde elf at 0:34, Lord of Innadril and friend of King Raoul the Uniter—they both were central to Aden becoming a country. (He’s also one of my favourite NPCs in Fafurion ngl)

There’s bound to be lots more that I’ll find and add here :)

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:36 am 
Count

WHAT DOES "LORE CHARACTERS" MEAN?

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:39 pm 
Vagabond

spoilez wrote:
WHAT DOES "LORE CHARACTERS" MEAN?

Lore characters could be anything from NPCs to cinematic characters or might even be people from the source material, whatever’s canon to the game.
Pretty much characters who populate and contribute to Lineage 2’s backstory. In this specific instance, we’re focused on the placeholder characters in the cinematics. Some of them are unnamed and we’re attempting to fill those gaps. IDK, I’m not very good at explaining so hope this makes sense :)

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:54 am 
Vagabond

It is truly hard to search exact part of the lore, especially since original lore was translated to English in many variations. You'd have to try and find the exact names on one of the wikis (prefering l2wiki lore) on it. I tried myself and got slightly into it again,MyAARPMedicare will try to search thoroughly later. If someone has any knowledge on it, please share with us.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:12 pm 
Vagabond

There might be some differences between the names in original Korean small-stories (say, as in the cinematic trailers) and of those in the english translation. I also think it should be noted that Len's lover Iverit is not the same light elf that appears in the other trailers. The dual-wielder/archer in Scions of Destiny and the fighter (?) in Oath of Blood are not explicitly named, but the swordsinger in Rise of Darkness trailer is.

https://www.youtube.com/v/YGpZnIakNHE

Quote:
On top of a cliff overlooking the castle of Aden from a distance, Seriel the Swordsinger is reliving painful memories.

Past...
In the midst of war's madness, Paladin Batz, her lover and colleague, is fighting a bloody battle.
Seriel desperately runs to help him but when she finally arrives, Batz has already been killed by the enemy leader.
Clutching the clan crest left behind by the enemy, she swears to avenge his death...

Present...
Seriel renews her resolve to fulfill her oath.
Riding a Wyvern she summoned by blowing a horn, she flies toward the castle of Aden.
Her army follows her.

Seriel sings a magical tune to boost their morale. The Wyvern roars fire, and the all-out attack against the castle of Aden begins at last!

It could be that Seriel is meant to also be the elf in Oath of Blood / Scions of Darkness, but again there doesn't seem to explicitly be names for these. Her human lover clearly is not meant to be Len, but another knight, Batz.

https://www.youtube.com/v/RkRUimk4iR0

Slight misspelling in the video description here (or atleast, it deviates from the offical english translation, idk if it's more accurate to the Korean spelling), the woman's name is Elcadia. As far as I can recall, she appears the Seven Seals? questline in the game -- though they've been removed now, right? Haven't played in a long while so I don't really know. Even though she is one of Shilen's daughters, iirc she aids the player in the game. The dark elf guy is Shiken. This guy might actually be dark elf guy that shows up in most of the trailers? The human dude here is also not Len, but Kain. I can't say for sure if he is the same as Kain van Halter, but I would assume so?

Lineage 2M has also made some cgi trailers that shows the backstory of the important playable/lore characters, and so on, that are fun. I'll link below to Elhwynna's story-trailer, but all of them should be in the playlist to the side. Afaik, many of the characters in L2M either orginiate from that game or are important lore figures within the greater Lineage universe -- some feature and are mentioned in the original Lineage 2, like Frintessa / Saint Solina, Leona, Kain, etc though. Shiken from the cgi trailers is also a playable character in L2M, but I don't think he has a backstory video yet.

Also, I don't think there's all that much to Elhwynna's backstory beyond that she was the first elven queen as chosen by Einhasad. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though.

https://www.youtube.com/v/XIW17vzijGw&list=PLMd4CV6iDBumOhG4KJMw7WN-eahh_lVws&index=4

http://einhasad.blogspot.com/2013/12/lineage-2-concept-art-japan.html

Here's a link to some of the old concept art for Lineage 2. A couple of the images has the names of bosses, lore characters, areas, etc.

The original Lineage manga by Shin Il-sook can be read here:

https://mangafoxfull.com/manga/lineage/chapter-1/

The game's lore, the history of Aden and all that is based on this comic. I've just started reading it, but it's really nice, it's fun and doesn't take itself too seriously (well, that could change, but atleast not yet).

Now, this might be a bit off-topic, but Lineage Eternal / Project TL might also be worth checking out. It's still an unreleased, recently rebooted, game that's scheduled to come out next year, but it takes place at around the same time as Lineage 2 does (like 150 years before the timeline in L2, or something like that), and it features/d many of the same characters that appears in Lineage 2 and/or important lore figures. One of the main villains from Lineage 1 and the comic, the mage Kerenis / Cerenis, is also the main villain in this game.

The game has since been remade and is still in late stages of development, but the story of what I saw of it was interesting and focused a lot on the lore and worldbuilding, so I'll just sum it up quickly here. The final release will' potentially be drastically different though.

The gist of the story as I understand it, is that Cerenis, who was defeated and killed in Lineage 1, has recently returned from the dead and has sworn to take revenge on the royal Depil family line of Aden (so Deporoju's family). Before the main plot kicks off, she has the king, William (i think?), killed off, and a civil war breaks out in Aden, which later spreads throughout the continent. To combat this, Shilen (Goddess of Death and one of the main villains of L2) picks out 13 champions, or "Eternals", and tasks them with getting rid of Cerenis. All 13 Eternals are actual, playable, characters in their own rights, and they had their own backstories and storylines to go through. Most, if not all, has some sort of beef with Cerenis, hence why they were chosen by Shilen in the first place.

Zikel the Death-Knight and Freya the Ice Queen boss from Lineage 2 were two of the playable Eternals, and their storylines in the game were meant to build upon the lore that they had in L2.

Here's a link to its old Korean website. This defaults to Ophelia, but running the character backstories through google translate will get you ok-ish translations.

https://web.archive.org/web/20170829155853if_/http://le.plaync.com/hero/index?id=ophelia#hero

If clicking on the name-tabs doesn't work, just change the character name in the url to the one you want to go to. Ex: /index?id=freya#hero -> index?id=hektor#hero

Cinematic trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/v/14G7U6pTcFk

Game assets. Mostly just nice art. The shadowy wraith-like woman afaik is supposed to be Cerenis.

http://einhasad.blogspot.com/2016/11/lineage-eternal-leaked-info.html

Sorry if this got a bit too off-topic, but I thought I'd mention Project TL since it builds off so much on the Lineage comic / central L2 lore characters.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:30 am 
Vagabond

To Elhain, I bow before your research skills.

There is frankly so much background/lore/world building stuff that is not accessible in English and is therefore a little more difficult to find. And I am super glad you found a link to the manga, it’s a great story :D

Quote:
I also think it should be noted that Len's lover Iverit is not the same light elf that appears in the other trailers. The dual-wielder/archer in Scions of Destiny and the fighter (?) in Oath of Blood are not explicitly named, but the swordsinger in Rise of Darkness trailer is.

I’m glad you pointed that out, I kinda forgot I generalized that bit. I think I was going off the iffy cgi features and thinking she looked a lot like others :?

Quote:
The dark elf guy is Shiken. This guy might actually be dark elf guy that shows up in most of the trailers? The human dude here is also not Len, but Kain. I can't say for sure if he is the same as Kain van Halter, but I would assume so?

I believe his full name is Shiken Gloomdrake. I actually kind of think he’s different than the others? Again, could just be he crappy cgi, but he looks shorter and/or stockier. Most of the other variations are more slender. And pretty sure that’s a different Kain. I speculated on a different forum that Kain was a popular name among humans, since it was the name of their creator. And all the cinematic/cutscenes show Kain van Halter with dark hair.

I cannot for the life of me find the rundown of characters that includes Shiken (since it matches what we see in the scene with Elcadia) but give me a few hours of sleep and hopefully I’ll have it.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:47 pm 
Vagabond

‘Kay got it. Could be a simple spelling/translation choice of Shiken/Shikken, but I think it’s the same person. He’s described as a Shillien Knight which seems on par with what we see, along with his position as assassin/guard.

Quote:
Gustin has no apparent purpose in his life, other than his desire to follow Franz, believing his soul will somehow be saved from terrible nothingness. He watches over Shikken, who pursues Frikios and Teon.

Quote:
After meeting with Franz at the Temple of Einhasad, Teon pursued Frikios with the aid of Shikken, a Shillien Knight.

Here’s the full thing, with bio blurbs:
https://legacy-lineage2.com/background/leading_role.html

As for Seriel, I noticed another possible connection with her lover, the Paladin Batz. I again think it was stupid for me to overgeneralize the possible names/characters, as Batz dies while Seriel lives, and Iverit dies when Len lives. They can’t do both. So here’s possible info on the short lived Paladin:

Quote:
Bartz is a Paladin of the Lamb's Heart, Oren's noble family. He has a passionate heart, willing to risk his life for a trusted cause. He sincerely believes that all should unite their strength to fight against injustice for a better world. He joined the Knights of the Cathedral, part of the Einhasad Temple, eventually facing expulsion for refusing to retreat during battle. However, Cardinal Seresin ordered him to serve guard duty rather than leave their ranks. Bartz began his journey, visiting kingdoms with the Cardinal. While visiting many villages, he learned that the Order's priests were having premonitions of an ominous future. He realized that his guard duty had much more significant meaning.

I could just be grasping for straws here but I like finding these odd bits and trying to make sense of them all :mrgreen:

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:00 pm 
Vagabond

Terribly sorry for the late reply, christmas and new years has been a bit hectic for me.

Quote:
I’m glad you pointed that out, I kinda forgot I generalized that bit. I think I was going off the iffy cgi features and thinking she looked a lot like others

Yeah, it's definitely difficult trying to make sense of them, they do look very similar. Personally, I think Seriel resembles the dual-wielder/archer, the facial proportions and overall style of the Oath of Blood fighter is too different imo... but she kinda looks to have green eyes while Seriel has blue? Bleh, it's just confusing :P

Quote:
I believe his full name is Shiken Gloomdrake. I actually kind of think he’s different than the others? Again, could just be he crappy cgi, but he looks shorter and/or stockier. Most of the other variations are more slender.

Oh, that's nice, wasn't aware of his surname. Sounds fittingly dark elf-y. And I agree, he surely looks to be a bit more stockier compared to Rise of Darkness Kain. The dark elves in L2M kinda generally kinda looks like they're more stockily built, atleast compared to the light elves and humans. It's a nice change. On that note, in that game his "title" is "Elcadia's Guardian Knight" and class-wise he's primarily a warrior that uses a greatsword, but can also equip dual-swords as his secondary weapon. The attention to details like that are neat.

Quote:
And pretty sure that’s a different Kain. I speculated on a different forum that Kain was a popular name among humans, since it was the name of their creator. And all the cinematic/cutscenes show Kain van Halter with dark hair.

Ah, yeah, that's fair. I thought the Rise of Darkness one might've been a younger Van Halter Kain, but nothing really adds up if that were the case, does it :P But Kain likely being a common name among humans is a really good point. It was interesting seeing that bio page you posted, because in there, Kain is noted as being born as a Elmore aristocrat, but in the first chapter trailer for the Salvation update...

https://www.youtube.com/v/6j1izP77rJs

Kain's a prince (and I guess you could argue that "aristocrat" could potentially include royalty, but eh that'd be kinda weak for me). I'd assume of Elmore? Looked into it a bit, and Kain's father the king should be Astain van Halter. Also found a short summary of what happened after that first chapter trailer. Some of the bio/leading roles characters are a part of that story too.

https://eu.4gameforum.com/threads/658076/

And thanks for linking to the legacy-lineage2 site, very interesting lore there!

Quote:
Could be a simple spelling/translation choice of Shiken/Shikken, but I think it’s the same person. He’s described as a Shillien Knight which seems on par with what we see, along with his position as assassin/guard.

Agreed, this seems to be the case. Shiken doesn't seem to be mentioned in the Chronicle 2 short-stories, and the Chronicle 3 stuff is primarily background lore on Shunaiman, Shilen, and the Seven Seals, but I guess he must've left Teon and joined up with Elcadia around the time Rise of Darkness came about.

Quote:
As for Seriel, I noticed another possible connection with her lover, the Paladin Batz. I again think it was stupid for me to overgeneralize the possible names/characters, as Batz dies while Seriel lives, and Iverit dies when Len lives. They can’t do both. So here’s possible info on the short lived Paladin. I could just be grasping for straws here but I like finding these odd bits and trying to make sense of them all

No no, I think you could be on to something here. Names does seem to vary slightly between the various games and the medium -- Lamb's Heart for example, is in Lineage 2M translated as Ramsheart. That Bartz could be Batz imo is very plausible.

I didn't notice it before recently, but Bartz is also playable in L2M (a lot of the characters from the bio/short-stories you linked are also). He also has a playable brother (? i think), Eric Ramsheart.

Here's Bartz's story video:

https://www.youtube.com/v/mMNhsoB8Nro

Rise of Darkness Batz does seem to have brown hair, generic armour, and all... but it's also a really old trailer by now, and all of the appereances of the story/lore characters has gotten shiny, shiny updates in the recent Lineage games. Even if they are very different design-wise, I don't think it's too out there that they could be intended to be the same person given their overall similarities.

This is kinda grasping at straws too, but given that Seriel leads an army to attack Aden Castle, obviously she is in a position of power and authority, and could very well be elf nobility herself. It's not too out there that she could end up in a relationship with a human nobleman, even a Ramsheart / Lamb's Heart / Oren's rulers.

Either way, given that Bartz just... doesn't really exist (as far as I can tell, at any rate) within the lore/story after Chronicle 1, it's very possible that he too died young around this time.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:48 am 
Vagabond

Talk about a time gap D: I definitely didn’t mean to put this off for as long as I did, but RL has a way of being obnoxious when it wants attention :P

I couldn’t really find anything more on Bartz than you already found. But I like the thought that they’re giving more substance to the bit characters we only saw for a few seconds in the old cinematics. It’s also kind of interesting that war is hinted at between Oren and Aden, which would indicate it might be taking place during the Age of Darkness/Battle for the Continent when the kingdoms were split.

Quote:
Looked into it a bit, and Kain's father the king should be Astain van Halter.

Kain’s father does show up in the Grand Crusade cinematic, except I can’t find any other mention of Astain van Halter outside of the Orfen update you found. Everything I turned up ended up being Astair van Halter, an evil wizard/magician—except for this site http://l2on.net/en/?c=npc&id=35470 which names him as Astair van Halter Elmoraden King ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. The picture with the three monarchs seems to match up with the king’s very fluffy parka/fur-hood thing though, no matter how his name is spelled.

As for the rest of Kain's family, I’m guessing Giselle is his wife/lover and/or Astain’s foster daughter—I’m not quite sure what she’s supposed to be though, with pasty white skin and red eyes even in a portrait where she’s alive. Not a dark elf, that’s for sure. But since she's the (part of the) Kain willingly joins up with Etis, I'd say she's an interesting character sadly lacking a backstory. Grand Crusade: [url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?sv=x4Yt4epPbJA[/youtube[/url]

And a fun bit I just realized rereading through Juji’s lore.

We’ve already met Elcadia.

In Chapter 6: Martien, there’s a hilarious encounter with a blind Dark Elf woman, whose name (or nickname) is El:

Quote:
"El! El! I told you not to wander around on your own, didn't I? It's very crowded here. You can easily get into trouble, and then what are you going to do? A place like this attracts a lot of weird characters!"

Although someone who looked like the young female Dark Elf's companion showed up a few steps away, the young female did not open her eyes and continued to hold steadfastly onto her cane.

The merchant she attacked in self-defense had been robbed by Aria FirstMatter, who also got a glowup with 2M:

(sorry for the crappy quality, it was the only pic I could find with her name included)

She has an entire chapter in Juji’s lore dedicated to her playing both sides of the board—it’s even mentioned that Emperor Baium was her lover 500 years prior, so all of the lore events in-game from Baium’s imprisonment in the Tower of Insolence to the Battle of Giran and (I think?) the events in Salvation take place within that timeframe. 200 of those years—at least—are taken up by the Age of Darkness/Battle for the Continent, during which Revolution is set. I’m attempting to put together a timeline (despite the headache lol)

As for Aria’s design, the high ponytail and preference for dual wielding knives, it makes me wonder if she’s the same delf in Interlude and/or the original Light Elf vs Dark Elf fight (I know, I shouldn’t generalize… but I can’t help it). She would be alive during all those events and was a surprisingly large player in the political arena, it seemed. Again, mere speculation.

And it would make sense why she would be in a battle like this at 2:18:

https://www.youtube.com/v/oytST3zsXJ0&t=4s

…Also makes for an interesting interpretation if, since she was Baium’s lover, she was also the mother of his children, Frintessa and Solina.

Anyway, I'm sure I have more lore junk stuffed in a drawer somewhere, I'll try to post a little more in a bit.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:29 am 
Duke

Damn, didn't even know L2 had such extensive lore. Respect for finding all this info though

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:25 pm 
Vagabond

Yeah, it's been a while. Didn't mean for this to take as long as it did either, but life gets in the way when it wants I guess :P

runamuk wrote:
I couldn’t really find anything more on Bartz than you already found. But I like the thought that they’re giving more substance to the bit characters we only saw for a few seconds in the old cinematics. It’s also kind of interesting that war is hinted at between Oren and Aden, which would indicate it might be taking place during the Age of Darkness/Battle for the Continent when the kingdoms were split.

I really like that thought too, and it does seem to be the case to a point, given that characters only mentioned in the short stories are made playable or made npcs in the newer games. Lineage W also seem to pay more and more homages to older stuff, the comic among others. Like the monarch class being 3rd/4th generation descendant of Deporoju and Isilotte, and both Jillian and Owen for instance were set to make an appereance in-game (from what I could understand) in the 'Aden' update that came earlier this year, so things like that are neat. Timelines in Lineage confuses me a lot tbh, but that's a good point about the war between Aden and Oren, so that seems likely yeah.

If that’s the case with Kain’s father, I guess Astain in the Orfen article might be a typo, or the name is Astain in some other region/language. Either way, I suppose it doesn’t really matter much, since it’s clear that the king’s name is Astair in the english version.

Of course, Astair is also the given name of Ken Rauhel, the primary antagonist in the Lineage comic and 1st game, so it might be that this is a callback to that.

I noticed an Andreas Van Halter turning up, but no evil magician Astair. Kinda weird. This Andreas is a raid boss of Pagan Temple though, she’s an aristocrat and has the title of “High Priestess van Halter”. Strangely enough, of what I could find about her, she’s only noted as an aristocrat rather than royalty.

This is all I could find of her background.

Quote:
This aristocrat of Rune secretly worships Triol, even conducting the occasional bloody worship ceremony in the Temple. Despite her claims of nobility, much of her background is still unknown.

…Which seems like an odd thing to say about (supposed) royalty. ‘Claims of nobility’ and the last sentence in general also kinda makes it sound like she’s faking her identity… which I mean is fair if you’re trying to stay in power of a pagan cult secretly doing blood sacrifices, but eh… might be looking too much into it though.

The pagans are also said to “control the Rune castle” in the quest text beneath -- which I guess is a way of saying that they control the capital / government of Elmore.

Tbh I’m not entirely sure about the timeline of the game, so the Pagan Temple stuff could well take place a significant time before Grand Crusade. Does the van Halter family only come into power as royalty sometime during the course of one of the games’s updates maybe? Bc early on Kain is noted to be “only” an aristocrat too, despite later being a prince. Could be some retconn-y elements to this too, ofc. Grand Crusade / Epic of Aden came out long after release, after all.

Quote:
As for the rest of Kain's family, I’m guessing Giselle is his wife/lover and/or Astain’s foster daughter—I’m not quite sure what she’s supposed to be though, with pasty white skin and red eyes even in a portrait where she’s alive. Not a dark elf, that’s for sure. But since she's the (part of the) Kain willingly joins up with Etis, I'd say she's an interesting character sadly lacking a backstory.

After having done some digging, it seems that Giselle is Kain’s sister and King Astair’s daughter. This is mentioned in the ‘Kain’s Choice’ quest and in the patch notes for a Grand Crusade private server.

Quote:
[It is said that in the Epic Tale tavern, you can hear the stories of Kain, the Supreme Commander of Embryo, and his sister Giselle……]

http://l2on.net/en/?c=quests&id=861&game=1

Quote:
[Discover the secret of Kain Van Holter: Mystic Tavern keeps telling arcane stories.
The appearance of a new fourth instance zone will shed a light on what Kain Van Holter sacrificed for his sister Giselle and how he became the disciple of Embryo.]

https://eu.4gameforum.com/threads/643515/

I’m assuming this was mostly ripped from the official patch notes at some point. Sadly, those seem to have been removed from the official Lineage 2 forum archives, so I’m unable to 100% verify. Still, Giselle and Kain are undoubtedly siblings.

What makes this confusing, is that Giselle is also a member of the von Hellmann family. This is what the lore says about them.

Quote:
“After the end of the Aden-Elmore war, the Von Hellmann family conspired and rebelled against the king of Elmore. The king ordered the ruin and execution of all members of the family, but they would have their revenge. Eilhalder Von Hellmann, like the other members of his family, was resurrected as a vampire and now resides in the Cursed Village.”

https://legacy-lineage2.com/Knowledge/monsters_4.html

I was a bit uncertain whether ‘Kain’s sister’ Giselle and the von Hellmann vampire was two different people, considering that the lvl 104 vampire looks like a dark elf and nothing like a human, but Kain’s Choice’ quest makes it clear that they’re one and the same. Maybe the devs just decided to revamp her design for Grand Crusade (or whichever update). This explains her very pale skin and red eyes atleast. Regardless, given her appearance, the whole deal with her being kidnapped by Etis seem to must have happened after she was resurrected as a vampire. Etis might just have killed her afterwards though, given that in the Grand Crusade trailer, Kain’s objective is to resurrect her… again.

You have to go through the video a bit to get to the quest text, but the Kain's Choice quest can be seen here. It deals with the Rune Knights raiding the Hellmann manor, the Hellmanns turning into vampire-demon things, and ultimately ends with Giselle being kidnapped by Etis. The PC joins Kain and some others trying to rescue Giselle. Seems to be essentially the start of Kain going evil.

Giselle is also noted to have been married to an Alfred von Hellmann, ‘Master of the von Hellmann House’, who also later turns into some demon-vampire hybrid thing. Alfred had a daughter, Lidia, whose mother is most likely Giselle.

What isn’t clear to me though, is how this is tied together, with Giselle ending up being executed with the von Hellmanns if she is also a princess of Elmore. Because the only plausible scenarios I can think of are these:

- Giselle marries Alfred and into the von Hellmann family, and takes her husband’s name. They rebel, and Astair has them all executed for treason, including his own daughter and grand-daughter. Kain, for some reason, does nothing about this, despite clearly loving his sister to the point of madness.

- King Astair has an affair with a lady of House von Hellmann, and fathers Giselle (likely without knowing), who is born into House von Hellmann. Giselle later marries Alfred, whose family doesn’t really matter. He takes her name, likely being of a lower rank than her. After a failed rebellion, Astair has all the Hellmanns killed, not knowing that he’d also executed his daughter. Kain doesn’t really care, bc he also wasn’t aware he had a sister, and doesn’t know Giselle at this point.

I find either scenario confusing, tbh. Even if Giselle *did*, personally and actively, encourage rebellion, I find it difficult enough to believe that the king would execute his own daughter just like that, or that Giselle would not go to her father afterwards and say how the her husband had been “lured into treason” (have written more on that below). Not to say that irl monarchs has never killed their own children, but I feel like this would have been emphasized in the lore more if that was the case. Like how Frintezza merely feared rebellion, but still had Saint Solina executed on trumped up charges of treason. In that case, it’s noted upon a lot in the lore on how that brought about the end of the old Elmoreden empire. Feel like something similar should be the case here, given Kain’s position in the story.

Keeping a memento of her (the picture) might then be an expression of guilt, but regardless, I don’t see this happening without there being more to it. If there is though, I’m not able to find it. Kain apparently not doing anything about Giselle’s execution is also a problem in my book. Timeline-wise, I’m not sure about the ‘Giselle is an illegitimate child’ thing (besides that the entire theory is a bit out there). Mainly because neither Kain nor Giselle seems very old, but Lidia’s a full grown adult in-game. Do vampires even age? …That’s probably just nitpicking though.

There could ofc be some retconn-y elements to this, given that the von Hellmanns were introduced in Chronicle 4, and Giselle-as-Kain’s-sister seemingly not until Grand Crusade or Epic of Aden, 9-11 ish years afterwards. But yeah, any thoughts on this would be welcome, bc this is beginning to confuse me a lot lol.

About the Hellmanns being tricked into committing treason, the Forest of the Dead area has a questchain that deals with their fall from grace, what led up to it, and how the resurrected vampiric Hellmanns are roaming the countryside and being unable to find peace. I wasn’t able to find videos of these quests in-game, but the links here summarizes the plot of it (the links in the page itself doesn’t work, so just use these).

1 - https://l2reborn.org/hidden-truth/
2 - https://l2reborn.org/tragedy-in-von-hellman-forest/
3 - https://l2reborn.org/lidias-heart/
4 - https://l2reborn.org/inhabitants-of-the-forest-of-the-dead/
5 - https://l2reborn.org/hiding-behind-the-truth/

Most important parts are:

[Start by talking to The Mysterious Wizard in the Forest of the Dead. He will ask you to handle a ghost that is hanging around and bothering him. If you ask him why, he will tell you that he doesn’t like the dead.

You learn that Lidia, Alfred’s daughter is Lord of the Forest of the Dead.
Innocentin tells you a story of how Alfred was lured into treason by the Mysterious Wizard.
The story unfolds of how Alfred Von Hellmann was influenced by Neidrahu (Nidrah) to betray the King and how Alfred, his family and vassals were tortured and killed for treason. But the mysterious Wizard had used vile sorcery and they rose as undead supposedly under the control of Lidia.]

Nidrah, the ‘Mysterious Wizard’, is really Hardin (read backwards). He’s a guy that pops up on occasion throughout the various Lineage properties. In the Lineage comic, he’s a minor antagonist that’s kinda gross (he lusts after his own students and the like) and ultimately responsibly for kicking off the events of the story, though he's not on the side of Ken Rauhel / the Usurper King. But generally he’s supposed to be this super competent mage that’s often up to something nefarious. No idea why he framed the Hellmanns, but I guess that doesn’t really matter. Would be nice to be able to actually read the quests in-game though, that probably would answer a lot :/

That's a neat encounter with Elcadia. It'd be cool if she came to L2M.

I actually know nothing about Aria Firstmatter at all, so that's really interesting. One thing I found disappointing in L2M was the lack of any information on the playable characters, given how there are so many of them (many notable lore characters esp) and that their backstories are hinted at, but never fully explained. I guess I just assumed that she was made for 2M, so it's nice to see that she's a fairly big character in the lore.

I can see how Interlude / dueling dark elf could be her, lol. The Age of Splendor Dark Elf woman has a more direct connection with Baium though, though nothing's to say they can't all be the same woman. (Splendor doesn't have a tattoo, but I guess that could just as well be attributed to the age of the trailers)

Quote:
This CGI movie tells the tale of ancient and dark powers coming to life once again. A Dark Elf woman explores ancient ruins and Baium comes to life.

"After travelling through the Wyrm-Spine mountains (?) for seven days, I had finally reached the lost Tower of Insolence. Carefully cast spells revealed the forgotten history of this place. I learned how Baium, the last emperor of the great empire, discovered the secrets of immortality, and dared to challenge the armies of Heaven. [...] In the end, even the powers of Heaven couldn't kill Baium. He was merely bound, and imprisoned. If that is true, somewhere within this tower, the legacy of Baium survives. I have come to recover that legacy: the secrets to eternal life. My beloved, grant me strength. For your sake, I must succeed."

It doesn't entirely fit, but it's fun to theorize anyhow :P The 'beloved' could obviously be taken to be Baium, and the dark elf woman does end up bringing him back to life.

I actually kind of like the idea that Aria is also the mother of Frintezza and Solina. Frintezza in L2 has fairly gray skin, so it's not too out there tbh (and i guess there's really no other candidates :P ). Might pose the question why she didn't do anything about Solina's followers being persecuted and her eventual execution though, if she's that old.

OfflineProfile