Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Creating Lineage Server: asking Experts opinions
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:12 pm 
Vagabond

Hello everyone!

I have been looking for:

1) low rate server in Europe. (1x rates, no common items, no weapons/armor at shops at all, nonpc
buffers, no Shadow weapons/armor, no herbs). Full map(No classic/limited map). No Kamaels. Subclass
lvl 3 possible. All classchange quests must be done through, no pay option to bypass. Shops do not sell shots, no manapotions/buffs. Events Do Not reward anything that give lasting advancement in gameplay like weapons or armor or longlasting buffs. Maby events give Few buffscrolls(20 minutes), namecolor change(~7Days), shadow item "Fisherman hat" or "Mask" or "squeekingboots" or something like that for(~7Days).
2) NEW Server = (not intereesting start where all players have top level multiple chars, except me)
3) No chance to get advantage over other players in any other means than real play.
4) No bots = minimum chances for bots.
5) Minimum chances for outgame businesses where people sell adena to server players >>> Point 3
6) No premium account things where players can get better XP/SP/Spoil or other rates >>> Point 3
7) Have multibox limited to 2 online chars + 1 or 2 offline shops.
8) I dont want ever hear blackmailing things like: "Server needs more donations for survive"

* I am ready to pay about 2 to 5 EUR per month.

I started wondering, how could i HOST such server myself...

(Now HERE i would like Experienced people constructive opinions/advice)

My ideas, what should be done for keeping that server alive:

1) Whitelist system for antibot ... (Most people have "Steam", perhaps tie whitelisting to steam ID?)
2) Someone honest person, who is willing to spend time on GM top-important things, like:
a) Banning =
a.1) Searching bots realtime in "invisible GM" mode few times in week.
a.2) Reviewing botreports / cheaters reports
a.3) Checking, if "Gameserver" and "Loginserver" and "Server Website" are properly online
b) Report to me, if GM-shop is needed for something(becasue ONLY I would have that option).
3) Renting server from somewhere. Server hosting costs should be divided between average players number.
4) Website account should contain Paypal and payment verify >> activating player account in loginserver.

I noticed, there are many diferent server rentals available.
They seem to be mostly divided to:
*Virtual servers (i found cheapest version about 15$ per month...wondering what could i achieve with that)
*Dedicated servers (I found that they seem to be around 65$ and up)

I am not interested to pay about 70$ monthly from my own pocket until/"if ever" server gets populated with at least 35 players(i dont want charge anyone more than 5$ per month, PLUS, i would like reduce payment when players amount gives that possibility).

AND I am not after making money for myself on this project.

I agree to show some decent advertisement on the webpage side, where it does not disturb users, if that could reduce server cost reasonably.

Or... is there anyone out there, who has somekind of resources(server setup files/software/stable L2 database/hardware) available and is willing to help me out in server hosting to reduce cost and keep performance on needed level?

1) Most important reason: HUMAN ERROR
2) I dont have any skills to protect server from DDOS attacks or hackers
3) Homeusers will affect bandwidth from time to time + there is high risk that sometimes hosting PC will get shut down/cables get ripped out/ventilalor could have to chew toycars or LegoMen occasionally ;)

So:
What money do i have to pay monthly to start up? And any good suggestions, where is bestpocketsaving but ok server Hosting available?
I guess, at start there could be very low population for 6 month minimum. Then perhaps get to 30 players... If get over 40, then might start moving server from one hosting site to other as needs and pocket(gathered money amount) grows...?

Thank You for reading this all through, who bothered.

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: Creating Lineage Server: asking Experts opinions
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:33 pm 
Vagabond

Without few hundred $$$ investment and good programming experience (1 year+ minimum), you won't get anywhere so just forget it.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:04 pm 
Marquis

i think if the year will be 2004 it will be ok for your project .

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:06 pm 
Vagabond

tutanka wrote:

Could you please explain why this project isn't viable in your opinion in 2017?

There are plenty people still interested in L2 classic forms, like high five and interlude.

I would for one be willing to pay a few dollars of subscription fee to get a guaranteed bot-free experience that's also challenging and fair. If such a server also develops a viable initial economy and you get 50 people like me to play, why wouldn't this work?

RHDS wrote:
Without few hundred $$$ investment and good programming experience (1 year+ minimum), you won't get anywhere so just forget it.

Why assume the OP doesnt have any programming experience.
Also, do you have personal experience with hosting L2 servers? What is behind your confidence that it won't work?

The OP probably need a good start-up kit for private server. Can anyone recommend a good kit?

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:09 pm 
Vagabond

Quote:
Why assume the OP doesnt have any programming experience.
Also, do you have personal experience with hosting L2 servers? What is behind your confidence that it won't work?

The OP probably need a good start-up kit for private server. Can anyone recommend a good kit?

Because I can tell it from his post. "Good kits" cost a lot of money, how much are you ready to put on the table? Not to even talk about hosting fees, website development, marketing. If you have programming experience then you're in luck, take any server files and fix them yourself for free. :lol:

http://depmax64.com/en/pages/main take a look.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:04 pm 
Vagabond

Thank You for bothering reading and developing discussion on my post!

About my current skills:

1) About programming skills:
I have my programming skills grown up from Turbo Pascal - Delfi - Java - MySql. I am not good at any of them, but i have idea of how things work and always Google have answers from Wizer people :)
And as addition i have one person, who has same skillrate as myself + he likes to aid me from time to time.

I believe that altering Lineage 2 server files is achievable goal as i had few times set up few different versions of lineage servers and one other game server in my home pc before.
I managed successfully (consumed lot of Google-ing time in guides) altered server files by editing shops, drops, tinkered successfully littlebit with trader npc-s and so on.

3) Webpage creating:
I am not good at designing webpages, but i think, nowdays WordPress(i have tested that littlebit before) does everything for users, if they know what they want.

Example of webpage hosting:
I have hosted one WordPress-based webpage for my own family purposes lately.

Example of Lineage2 skills:
My best effort(Lineage 2 Server + Server homepage) even lived online about 1 year. I managed have there about 25-30 players same time as record moment.
I had cheaters to ban and ... having server on home PC, proved, that Server Must be hosted on separate Internet than other home devices and is better if it is not physically reachable for other familymembers(Human Error).

So, i believe, i am able:
1) to find some server version, fingers crossed hope that it is stable as promised where they usually are uploaded.
2) Create homepage
3) Get server up, edit, running, reachable outside

3) Dont know if anyone has time and interest in GM work dutch as searching and banning cheaters.
4) that I have not yet made myself familiar with "whitelisting" process, but i think, this is very important thing.
5) that I have not yet made myself familiar in linking Paypal payments registering with MySql database. Maby there is some service cost that needs some extra monthly fee or is it achievable at all...

(In programming approach: maby if i got set fixed payment and receive reply:"payment success", perhaps that could be somekind of toggle what initiates Mysql database current player to "Approved" state or smth similar)
I am sure, i will find all those answers with Google aswell, but as here are so many Experienced and lot wizer people than me, i am sure, someone can point me my faults on the fly. That would be very much appreciated.

Thank You!

NB!
I am very glad to notice that at least one person has interest on this kind of result, what is currently my goal :)

RHDS reply made me worry:

What investments do you have in mind that builds up few hundred Dollars cost?

There are free software to get server up, edit and running.

So You mean hardware side?
That perhaps in long terms is wizer to build up homeserver + get separate internet connection and upgrade bandwith(manage cost) step by step with community growth?

In that case i am afraid, server hardware might need about 1000$ and that is above my head in this project if i dont have it divided with partners or greatly supporting community grows up unexpectedly fast.

I have one pc available, that has maby minimum requirements for very low pop server hosting(maby 30-60 players). But i would like to leave that as last option, because i dont know how to shield it from DDOS or hackers.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:07 pm 
Vagabond

You can host ~500 players with a VPS that costs you 15$, L2 is a old game and 10 years ago there wasn't PCs like we have today so the requirements aren't that huge.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:53 pm 
Vagabond

Thank You RHDS!

My main concern was the huge cost. Now Your enlightening answer grew my hope many levels up.
At moment i am searching for good L2 server software(login+server) and appears, that L2J is closed.
I wonder, would You happen to know some good link, where can get nice (possibly most bugless/stable)version? I found few very old servers, but hoping to get better result.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:38 pm 
Vagabond

tutanka wrote:

Thank You for opinion, Tutanka.

You could be right, but i do hope that it proves wrong.

I think that advertising other Server where people dont ask for it, is impropriate action. Specially, where that might look like competing with target.

In other words Your style looks like this to me:

"Hey, i add something nonrelevant here...lalalaaa, BUT LOOK AT MY SERVER!"

But if really look at Your advertised Server, then i would say my opinion:

It is all that one server should NOT be.
1) That server provides "Premium service" whitch give more EXP/SP/SPOIL RATE to players, who pay real money = Advantage over others. That forces all others start paying to compete Premium players.
2) Shops, where can buy extra items for real money.
3) And there is system, where players get pm, where is advertised "Adena selling on other website". Those pm-s are so badly configured that everyone understands: they are automated.
Those pm-s appear for example this way:
a)person teleports to other town
b) faster than 0,5 sec after arriving, long pm is arrived. No matter, what your char name is.

I believe, Server Admins sell their server own adena by themselves(cant prove that statement).

So... THAT IS EXACTLY what people hate nowdays...

As You are advertising it... Please do not consume space on my posts in the future.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:15 pm 
Vagabond

pelleproosa wrote:
Thank You RHDS!

My main concern was the huge cost. Now Your enlightening answer grew my hope many levels up.
At moment i am searching for good L2 server software(login+server) and appears, that L2J is closed.
I wonder, would You happen to know some good link, where can get nice (possibly most bugless/stable)version? I found few very old servers, but hoping to get better result.

http://acis.i-live.eu/ - 10 Euro for a good L2J package that is getting updates but still it has missing quests, missing features, problems with geodata/geoengine, not implemented epic raid bosses (Zaken I think was missing, don't want to lie but that's what I remember). Requires quite a lot of development from your side. But the project is cool, open source where everyone can contribute to improve the files.

http://lucera2.ru/ - Russian developed L2J package, people say it's decent, never tried myself.

http://depmax64.com/en/pages/main - based on L2 OFF Extender which is much better than any L2J as it's based on retail files and not like L2J that tries to simulate how it should look like. All L2J usually have incorrectly working skills since it's hard to find actual values and chances for many of them.

If I were you, I would go with the L2 OFF Depmax for Interlude. If you want L2 Classic which is the new trend since it has old school gameplay with improved graphics and interface (which doesn't hurt right?), then the current best files are http://l2-scripts.com/index.php?productID=627 from what I know.

If you have any more questions it will be easier if you just give me your Skype in a PM.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:37 pm 
Marquis

pelleproosa wrote:
tutanka wrote:

Thank You for opinion, Tutanka.

You could be right, but i do hope that it proves wrong.

I think that advertising other Server where people dont ask for it, is impropriate action. Specially, where that might look like competing with target.

In other words Your style looks like this to me:

"Hey, i add something nonrelevant here...lalalaaa, BUT LOOK AT MY SERVER!"

But if really look at Your advertised Server, then i would say my opinion:

It is all that one server should NOT be.
1) That server provides "Premium service" whitch give more EXP/SP/SPOIL RATE to players, who pay real money = Advantage over others. That forces all others start paying to compete Premium players.
2) Shops, where can buy extra items for real money.
3) And there is system, where players get pm, where is advertised "Adena selling on other website". Those pm-s are so badly configured that everyone understands: they are automated.
Those pm-s appear for example this way:
a)person teleports to other town
b) faster than 0,5 sec after arriving, long pm is arrived. No matter, what your char name is.

I believe, Server Admins sell their server own adena by themselves(cant prove that statement).

So... THAT IS EXACTLY what people hate nowdays...

As You are advertising it... Please do not consume space on my posts in the future.

Its called signature ...
seems you have missed the point .

OfflineProfile