Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: How to choose a server [imo]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:43 pm 
Duke

wanna update the previous post cuz it's very outdated and may mislead some players
if possible, edit my post, i don't wanna be a target of flames for faulty stuff
edited version:

So, after all, lot of players thinking about where they should go. Then most of the beginner ones just simply find one with google or some junk topsite and gets into a crappy server that makes no sense to play on.

I made this for those who would like to play on a server where she/he can enjoy and to avoid the frustrations and 2months-life servers.

To start with, the most important the rates are.
There are:
-extreme lowrate [1-3x]
-lowrate [4-10x]
-midrate [11-50x]
-highrate[50-200x]
-extreme highrate[200-1000x]
-instant maxlvl servers[1000-....x]

Mostly played and good servers are lowrate and midrate. Most players you'll find there. Dwarves are needed, parties as well, farming ofc and you can participate in mostly everything that a normal server has.

Extreme lowrate is not rly played, because even keeping up farming is a hard work. You don't have always money for SS, potions and such stuff and leveling will be very slow. Reaching serious levels like 76+ with a full new start will be about a month or two if you play a lot. Hardcores can reach it even in 1,5-2weeks.

Highrate is mainly for pvp, there you don't have to be afraid of lvling, farming and the higher grade equipment is mostly buyable from custom shops. These servers don't have too many players, but some of them do and if you have only a few hours here and there to play and you would like to get a 3rd class character in a month atleast, you might choose this type of server.

Extreme highrate is something that not rly anyone plays, some players use it to just simply try out the characters and equipments, it is based only on pvp and has extremely lot of custom stuff. You can have a max lvl char in about...half a day? If you are a pvpmaniac and you hate farming, lvling, questing, you might choose this one.
Instant maxlvl servers are similar to extreme highrate ones, they are full custom and only for pvp as well.

Note: Freya Update
The weaker attribute effects are nice, but there are some very disguisting changes with this update, probably the most horrible one so far.
This includes players making huge amount of chars to take advantage of the recommendation system, then conquarable CH/HQs sell high/top grade lifestones of lvl 70-76 etc...etc...if it comes to freya ask about these things b4 going to the server. It's bad enough that u can only get craft stamps from castles, now low-grade enchants, lifestones and later more will be inaccessible giving a hand to the already stronger players.............

----------------------------------
Note: from this point those who wanna play on 200x+server, useless information ahead.

Now when you finally chose what rates you wanna play, you have to know that what is the server configuration.

Like, what is the server machine's quality and especially it has to have a great connection. 100mbit is used by small servers, can keep up about 200active players w/o lag. After that, it might be a nightmare full-o-lag.
Big servers mostly have 1000mbit+ connection, that makes a future for them and you can play on it for a while for sure w/o the fear that when you're about to get well, the server keeps lagging or even more: about to shut-down.

The next thing will be the custom stuff.
Donations. Yep, money is needed to keep up the server, most big server have donations too, but there's 4kind of donations.
1. cheap and gets great advantage to the donator to own you, totally not fairplay.
2. kinda expensive donations, but still for stuffs that can give the donator advantages in-game.
3. fair donations with almost useless stuff, for unique appearance, scrolls, money, stuffs that can be bought for AA, d/c-grade items, pets and such stuff.
4. No donation.

The best is the 3. Why? Because a server w/o any donation mostly can't keep up with money, if there's no donation, then there might be a higher chance for the server to shut-up.

So be sure to ask the admins or look for infos which let u know how they solve financial problems.

Secondly, the custom stuffs.
Buying equipment that can be generally crafting or non-existent is kinda big problem. For example MPpotions makes EEs and SE-s halfway useless and overpower those chars that uses a lot of mp, like overlord/gladiator/bladedancer/swordsinger etc....
Custom buffers suck too, they make all support chars - except bishop and SE - totally useless.
Buyable d/c/b/a/s soul and spiritshots makes mostly the economy useless and this is a very important part, because giran is a place that must be full of merchants, those attract more players.

---------------------------

After all this, the activity, age of server and GMs.
It is important as well to know, how old is the server. Because you might just get into a huge server where there are alrdy about 20-50ppl with full or even overenchanted S-grade equipment and if you are w/o a lot of friends or a huge clan that support you, then you are doomed, you will be continuously a target for pks and you'll mostly thinking of where to go where there aren't too many players that can kill you with their hyperequipment.
Either way, you can join simply a huge ally/clan and they gonna defend you.

Never forget that most players will play on the latest version of l2, so don't choose very old chronicle, players don't rly go there.

GM must be active, to avoid the cheaters, like hlapexers, hingamers, l2net etc....there is a GM in need and a good protection system.
Note that there are !NO! servers that has a 100% protection, for a 99%protection at least, u need active GMs who manually take care of the cookiemonsters
To solve your problems/get help when you got into a bug or you would like to ask something about the server, a GM is in need.
Having active GMs are not always a very good thing. Because they can be corrupted. Yes, most corrupted GMs help their real life friends or clans that has the same nationality what is again: cheat.
At this part avoid non-international servers, they tend to have corrupted GMs.

The rumors about l2j, l2dc and l2off. Well, there is a difference ofc. l2j is a server that can be made extremely easily, but you have to deal with a lot of bugs and even more lags, but nowadays l2j improved a lot and that can't be a big problem, ofc l2off will be always better.
L2DC is basically java with well developed files, the Dragon Claw team fix things regulary and goes for fresh updates as fast and as stable as possible. This would be probably the bost choice of the three.
You can easily check a server that is l2j or not. To play on most l2j server you need to change your hostsfile in windows with adding a new IP address. Some just have a simple patch and no hostsfile change is in need. Some DC servers however got patches much like off, even then, if the server has patches that means some activity regarding the server owners.

---------------------------------

The dual-boxing. This means that you can run more l2clients and log in with more characters in the same time, allows you to keep a buffer of yours with your main one to farm better or be set for pvps. Also allows you to have more chars to set shops in giran/aden.
When it comes to dual-boxing, it sets out a huge number for the overall population of the server too, having no dual-boxing allowed on a new/fresh small server is not a good idea. While it sounds great u'll lack of supports or as a support u'll lack of DDs. It also makes the server have 40% less ppl, so the server seems even less populated.

---------------------------------

Finally, voting. Yes, that keeps players coming, you'll find servers on toplists and the more votes it has the more chance there is to bump in to a quite good server. However, apart from L2HopZone there are almost no other good voting sites that have not been hacked, be aware of that. So if you finally found a server that suits you, you enjoy playin' on it, recommend it. Vote daily and help yourself to have more players around you and help those who are looking for a server!

Last edited by Lhyno on Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:39 pm 
Viscount

Good work ! *Sticky*

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:35 am 
Duke

Well most private server is in Europe and most of them has the same qualify of connection. The best servers has Xeon or Dual-core[even more quadro-core], the machines qualify is not a huge problem.
Ofc an experienced searcher will ask the server authors what type of connection they have and if they'll say 100Mbit, then the player'll leave and that makes them to lie.

And ofc, yes, the latency. But most of them stay with something normal and not just a junk net to provide the server, though I saw lags with even 40-50players on a 100mbit server, so you might have a point there.

After 10-15server I played on this is my experience.

But there's a lot of versions of l2j, one can be downloaded and instantly started. That one won't keep up many players, with even a good net, that's for sure. While on the server I play issues like that is fixed and there's still no lag.
Somewhere in the beta tests of paradise you can see a part when the administrator had problems only with 100-200players, extreme lag. Then they finally fixed it so there weren't any.

Official is just official. But l2j can be sucky or almost as good as official.
About hard disks, I thought it depends only on the rpm.

And thanks for the info:)

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:02 am 
Duke

The hard drive problems are going to fade in time, because ssd drives are being tested. The first ssd drive, from OCZ, could achieve even more than +50% performance when compared to the best wd raptor available, but only in big file sizes. In very small sizes, they have a few problems. But this is just the begining.

An l2j could hold 1k people with medium resources, but i wouldn't say those would be perfect playing conditions.

fosho!

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: How to choose a server [imo]
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:01 pm 
Vagabond

Lhyno wrote:
Extreme lowrate is not rly played, because even keeping up farming is a spooty work. You don't have always money for ss, potions and such stuff and leveling will be very slow. Reaching level 40 with a full new start will be about a month or two if you play a lot. Hardcores can reach it even in 1,5-2weeks.

I can't agree. It took me 5 days to reach lvl 40 in retail. playing like 5-6 hours a day.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:51 pm 
Duke

shktz wrote:
Lhyno wrote:
Extreme lowrate is not rly played, because even keeping up farming is a spooty work. You don't have always money for ss, potions and such stuff and leveling will be very slow. Reaching level 40 with a full new start will be about a month or two if you play a lot. Hardcores can reach it even in 1,5-2weeks.

I can't agree. It took me 5 days to reach lvl 40 in retail. playing like 5-6 hours a day.

Note that when I made this, there was no gracia with vitality system.
And these are for private servers where you mostly won't find a clan that will automatically support you or give you a decent equipment and no common items were available.

On the old retail servers resting was an occasional thing and it takes time and autoss was mostly for pvp.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:39 pm 
Duke

Lhyno wrote:
shktz wrote:
Lhyno wrote:

And these are for private servers where you mostly won't find a clan that will automatically support you or give you a decent equipment and no common items were available.

On the old retail servers resting was an occasional thing and it takes time and autoss was mostly for pvp.

Actually, after Gracia it's possible even w/o a clan... You get equiped with common items, you can get very good buffs from the newbie helper and, of course, you have the vitality points.

ImageImageImageImage Image

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:48 pm 
Baron

Lhyno wrote:

Can`t agree either , c1 to c5 for a hardcore player lvl 62-65 is 3-5 days work (x3-x4 rates). A month on a new server for a normal clan means B grade (both armors and weapons +jewels depends on clan rules), for hardcore players it can mean 70+ and even subs (this is hard to happen though , means no wars and no competition - 1 sided server = dead server).

Only the time (week , week 1/2 ) was wrong , but i guess it depends on where you`ve played (clans and so on).

Anyway great topic GZ.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:06 pm 
Baron

Pinko wrote:
Lhyno wrote:

Can`t agree either , c1 to c5 for a hardcore player lvl 62-65 is 3-5 days work (x3-x4 rates). A month on a new server for a normal clan means B grade (both armors and weapons +jewels depends on clan rules), for hardcore players it can mean 70+ and even subs (this is hard to happen though , means no wars and no competition - 1 sided server = dead server).

Only the time (week , week 1/2 ) was wrong , but i guess it depends on where you`ve played (clans and so on).

Anyway great topic GZ.

i don't agree, 1side server most of the time is more better, cause i've been on one where are 3clans with best equipments and etc, others tryed to kill aq ant others epic raid bosses, when they were near epic raid bosses those full equiped comed and pk'ed everyone, so people just leaved that server. (that server is now off)

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:19 pm 
Duke

Lhyno wrote:

Guys, guys, guys...please, read it again.
On private server you won't find as much players as on retail, not even a dex-amount. On 3x and below, this can be seen.
Now I already mentioned that with a full new start and with the lack of players you can't except good equipment, good party always. Buff maybe, because those cost no money if you're lucky.
No SS. This is rly a big problem. Because if you use it too much you'll end up with no money.
Now, 'scuse me, how could anyone level up to 40 and do the class change as well? At this point I should remind you that teleporting is a problem too.

Now on gracia, there are common items, buffs till 62, vital system etc etc etc, so it's easy like that.

I'll make a lil edit, so you can be happy:P

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:18 am 
Vagabond

Hello, i am new in this forum and i want to tell my opinion about rates.
Rates about x5 are not low rate (low rate- not name but an adjective). x2+ are high rates because x1 are normal(middle) rates (well balanced, by retail).
Once i have heared about server with x0.5 or less. This is a true low rate.
:D

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:45 pm 
Duke

Youpish wrote:
Hello, i am new in this forum and i want to tell my opinion about rates.
Rates about x5 are not low rate (low rate- not name but an adjective). x2+ are high rates because x1 are normal(middle) rates (well balanced, by retail).
Once i have heared about server with x0.5 or less. This is a true low rate.
:D

Sry dude, but I think you messed up with forum addresses.
Here, I'll help ya out: http://boards.lineage2.com/

fail

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:46 pm 
Vagabond

I was playing in Franz from c5 to CT1 The Kamael...
I realized that x1 is the best and i dont know how "privaters" can call x1 extreme low rate.

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:59 pm 
Duke

Youpish wrote:
I was playing in Franz from c5 to CT1 The Kamael...
I realized that x1 is the best and i dont know how "privaters" can call x1 extreme low rate.

Lhyno wrote:
Guys, guys, guys...please, read it again.
On private server you won't find as much players as on retail, not even a dex-amount. On 3x and below, this can be seen.
Now I already mentioned that with a full new start and with the lack of players you can't except good equipment, good party always. Buff maybe, because those cost no money if you're lucky.
No SS. This is rly a big problem. Because if you use it too much you'll end up with no money.
Now, 'scuse me, how could anyone level up to 40 and do the class change as well? At this point I should remind you that teleporting is a problem too.

Official won't go down and has economy.
Priv starts from beginning, can go down and does not have the required economy.

Now again, why would you think I wrote this whole stuff?
Because of private servers, not official.
Who would write such stuff about official servers? They're all the same, just community differences.
Lucky you spending money for official. But we tend to play private and enjoy the gameplay for free.

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:05 am 
Vagabond

Why x10 dont need good economy, while x1 needs?

To collect 15 euros in a month its not a big problem... 1-2 days of work.

OfflineProfile